Screaming for applesauce sounds about right, especially when you make it yourself! Canning apples is a fairly simple and satisfying way to enjoy this nutritious fruit! I gave an update of my progress in When Life Hands you Apples…Can Applesauce. I am proud to say that I can can applesauce successfully! The greatest challenge for me was learning to can applesauce using only YouTube, help forums and anything in my learning network. I LEARNED a lot from this experience.
- You don’t have to have a “canner”.
- It’s pretty inexpensive especially when you find a great deal on apples!
- Canning takes a while. I wouldn’t recommend canning apples in July when the heat index is above 90 degrees (I learned this from experience).
- It’s a great way to know exactly what is going into the food you’re eating.
- You can make it as sweet (or not) as you want depending on the type of apples you use.
Using A Learning Network to Learn Something New
- It’s really hard knowing where to start. A lot of blogs and YouTube videos that I explored said different things. I just took the things I saw most often and tried it.
- It takes trial and error to find out works. I made applesauce 3 times to try and find the best way to do it and am still learning!
- The blog that was most helpful for me was A Return to Simplicity. I found it on Pinterest!
Overall, I had a great experience learning to can applesauce. It was actually a lot easier and cheaper than I thought. I am looking forward to trying new flavors of applesauce like strawberry or banana. I am also excited about canning other things besides apples…maybe tomatoes next?!
Creating a YouTube video was a challenge and took a lot of time. My house isn’t very big and it was difficult trying to find the perfect spot to place my iPad to record. At one point it was sitting on a box on top of a cutting board over my sink with a candle holding it upright! It was also challenging to figure out what to record. But who knows, maybe I’ll be the Next Food Network Star (probably not)!
This project gave me an opportunity to look at things from a true “learners” lens. As a teacher, I feel like it is important to take on that role so you can remember what it is like to be excited about learning something new.
Video Credit: Created by Shari Saddison using iMovie
Campbell, Angi. (2014, November 14). Sugar Free Applesauce. Retrieved from http://areturntosimplicity.com/sugar-free-applesauce/